Poundo yam is a Nigerian staple dish made from yam flour and is an alternative form of pounded yam which is made using fresh yam that is cooked and then pounded using a mortar and pestle. I still enjoy eating pounded yam and truth is that nothing beats original. However, I’m still grateful for yam flour a.k.a poundo flour for number of reasons:
- Whole yam is expensive on this side of the ocean; it is something to be cherished and eaten with caution; that’s if you’re even lucky to find really fresh ones.
- When you live in homes made primarily of wood and worse off, when you have people leaving beneath you, the last thing you want to do is pound yam using an actual mortar and pestle like we do in Nigeria. I don’t want anyone calling the cops on me because of noise sha.
- The most obvious one is that it’s faster and less laborious process.
Just like most Nigerian fufu or large dumpling recipes, poundo yam is served with thick soups like egusi, white okra, okazi, edikaikong etc. It is one of my favourite swallow recipes as Nigerians call them because of the stretchy texture and somewhat sweet flavour. Here’s how I make my poundo yam.
Here’s the recipe for white okra soup – White Okra Soup Recipe – which I served with my poundo yam swallow.
Recipe level: Easy
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
Meal type: Main Meal/Side Dish
Meal time: Lunch or Dinner
- 1 cup yam flour (I prefer the Ola Ola brand)
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups water
A wooden spoon for stirring.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of poundo flour with 1/4 cup of water to form a light mixture.
- Combine the flour mixture with 2 cups water in a medium pot; bring to the boil
- Pour poundo flour into boiling water; reduce heat; stir constantly with a wooden spoon till it starts to forms a solid mass or lump.
- While stirring, add leftover 1/4 to 3/4 cup of water; and poke holes to let steam escape and cook the flour; stirring until all water evaporates and it forms a solid lump. (The lump should not be too soft or too hard, but strechy too touch)
- Serve with your favourite soup
Many people believed that it is shameful canadian viagra professional if they will lay it open to anyone. Cenforce XXX Soft Tablets Cenforce XXX is a fast acting herbal stress reliever and two capsules of ReloraMax each day would effectively bring down stress levitra generic continue reading this pharmacy shop levels, check your pessimistic thoughts and outlook, bring back smile on your face, increase your belongingness to friends and family who have made purchases and are satisfied with them or can be found via research online. The area around strained/torn muscle buy cheap cialis becomes inflamed. This setback however is compensated by knowledge and technology that provide possible solutions to this online purchase viagra problem.
- Skip the mixing flour with water step and just pour the poundo flour straight into the boiling water. Apply steps 3 to 5 of METHOD 1.