Hello blog family .I hope you’re enjoying your week so far. I have decided to add a new series of posts to the blog this year. It’s important that we know more about the food we eat for a number of reasons.We can use that knowledge to make lifestyle changes, enhance our diet, and just become more aware of what we consume.
So our new series will be on “Food Profiles” and our lucky star today will be good old lemons.
Origin & Description
The lemon is a citrus fruit with a shiny yellow exterior. It is also know as “citrus limon” in Latin. It grows on a small evergreen tree that is native to Asia. Lemons are mainly produced commercially in China and Mexico, as well as the South American countries of Brazil and Argentina.
Lemon juice contains many nourishing elements including: like vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin A, vitamin E, folate, niacin thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, copper, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, phosphorus and protein.The flavonoids within lemon juice are said to contain antioxidants, which is why lemons are useful in treating so many ailments and conditions
There are over 50 varieties of lemon trees
Tangy, Zesty,Tart, Sour
4 to 5 ounces per pound
Here are 7 reasons to add lemon juice to your diet:
- Sorethroat relief : Mixing lemon juice with honey can help relieve the discomfort that comes from a painful sore throat.Its antibacterial properties can help soothe the throat.
- Skin Health: Vitamin C in lemon juice helps to fight skin damage caused by the sun and pollution, reduce wrinkles and improve overall skin texture. It plays a vital role in the formation of collagen, the support system of your skin.
- Digestive Aid: Warm lemon water in the morning and during the day will stimulate your digestive tract and eliminate waste faster from your body.It also acts as a blood purifier and cleansing agent.Take a cup of lemon water after a heavy lunch or dinner.
- Anticancer Properties: flavonoids and citrus liminoids found in lemon are composites that contain antioxidant and cancer fighting properties. These compounds protect cells from damage that can lead to the formation of cancer cells.
- Fever Treatment: Drinking a lemon juice mixture can help can treat a person who is suffering from a cold, flu or fever.When your temperature rises, it helps to break fevers by increasing perspiration.
- Respiratory Problems: As a rich source of Vitamin C lemon juice helps in relieving breathing & long term respiratory problems. It has the ability to soothe a person suffering from an asthma attack.
- Weight loss: Lemon juice contains pectin, a soluble fiber that has been shown to aid in weight-loss struggles.
Suggested Daily Intake
A quarter to a half of a lemon per day.
- Blood Disorders
- Colds, Constipation, Cough
- Ear Disorders
- Indigestion, Infections
- Liver Disorders
- Mucus Membranes (including catarrh elimination)
- Pneumonia, Pyorrhea
- Scurvy, Skin Disorders, Sore Throat
- Weight Loss
One fluid ounce of lemon juice provides 7 calories, 0.1 grams of protein, 0.1 grams of fat, 2.1 grams of carbohydrate (including 0.1 grams of fiber and 0.1 grams of sugar) and 23% of daily vitamin C needs.
The different lemon parts are used for a variety of culinary purposes:
- Lemon juice is used to make cocktails, lemonade, tea, and soft drinks.
- Lemon juice is used in marinades for meat and fish to tenderize and give flavour.
- Lemon juice can be added to water and used as a short term preservative to prevent certain foods from browning e.g sliced fruits like pears, apples, bananas, avocados etc.
- Lemon juice and rind are used to make jam, marmalade, curd, and liqueur.
- Lemon slices and rind are used as a garnish for food and drinks.
- Lemon juice and zest, the grated outer rind of the fruit, is used to add flavor to baked goods, puddings, rice, and other dishes.
- Lemon leaves from the tree are used to make tea and for preparing cooked meats and seafood.
- Lemon juice is used to make salad dressings, mayonnaise, and sauces.
FEATURED RECIPES WITH LEMON
sildenafil online If only that anatomy in your body has been permanently altered. It is the instant viagra cheap india treatment of the male impotence. This oil is for applying on cialis price http://deeprootsmag.org/2019/05/30/a-gift-of-transcendence/ penis only. The prices are considerably lesser and also it’s possible for customers to keep their identity tadalafil pharmacy confidential.