Hi everyone, I was really looking forward to having a plate of chicken curry and tortillas this weekend, but that is unlikely to happen as I just had a tooth extraction.So for the next 2 or 3 days my diet is strictly restricted to liquids and semi-solids till the pain and swelling go down.
Since I won’t be having curry chicken as I had planned, then you should have some on my behalf;) I can’t believe it took me such a long time to put up my curry chicken recipe but finally it’s here.
Chicken curry is one of my favorite Asian meals to have; particularly because it is not that hard to make and can be made in a variety of ways.
The aroma of this dish is always alluring and it is one of my comfort meals after a hard day’s work. The dish owes it’s popularity to these two powerful spices: curry and turmeric. If you feel adventurous you can add any other spice you want but I’d rather stay with the basics when I make my chicken curry sauce.
It’s a sauce that easily goes with a lot if things so you can have it as often as you want. SO now to the recipe;)
FOR OUR NIGERIAN READERS
You can easily find all the ingredients in this recipe in Nigeria. Curry,turmeric,and coconut milk (which is optional to this recipe ) are sold in Shoprite-in Lagos and Abuja.They are also sold in the local market. Fresh curry and scent leaves are sold in local markets as well, I bought mine in Dopemu market in Ikeja.
Recipe level: Medium
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Meal type: Side Dish, Sauce
Meal time: Lunch or Dinner
Recipe Source: Kauna Kitchen
CHICKEN CURRY RECIPE
- 6-8 pieces of chicken (drumsticks,thighs,breasts etc)
- 1 small onion (sliced or diced)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and cut into large chunks)
- 2 medium potatoes (peeled and cut into medium chunks)
- 1 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 3-4 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 seasoning cubes e.g. Knorr, Maggi
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- Salt, to taste
- 2 fresh curry or coriander leaves, optional
- 1/4 green bell pepper, chopped, optional
- 1/2 piece of hot pepper,optional
- Flour slurry, to thicken sauce.
- In a medium saucepan, heat up the cooking oil on medium heat; add the onions and fry for 1 mins or until translucent.
- Add the chicken, garlic and hot pepper and stir properly. Fry the chicken on both sides for 2 mins each.
- Add water or broth, curry powder,and turmeric powder.Simmer the sauce on medium heat for 15 -20 minutes.
- To thicken the sauce make a flour slurry which is basically 2 tablespoons of flour mixed nicely with 2 tablespoons of water. Ensure there are no lumps.
- Add the slurry, stir in properly; then add the potatoes and carrots. Boil for another 10 minutes or until the potatoes are done. Add the green bell pepper, curry or coriander leaves and leave the sauce to cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Serve hot with steamed rice, potatoes,flat breads like tortillas,chapatis,naan etc
THINGS TO NOTE ABOUT THIS RECIPE
- You can marinate the chicken ahead of time with garlic, ginger, pepper, and seasoning.This way your chicken will have more flavour at the start.
- You can use chickpeas if you don’t have Irish potatoes. If neither of the two you can still make it with chicken as is.
- You can substitute chicken for beef.
- PLEASE BE CAUTIOUS: Turmeric powder stains and requires a lot of effort and scrubbing to get off kitchen surfaces or clothing.Wear an apron and make sure not to spill the powder on your oven top or counters especially if they are white
It also over burdens the nervous levitra sale icks.org system and gives an erection within 15 minutes. They’ve got established scary motion pictures, fringe movement terror movies, cheap viagra tablets scariest horror flicks along with like that. Even though you will be under the instruction of professional doctors and the renal toxicity viagra 50mg canada is well controlled with corresponding measures, we can make full use of its advantages. So completely avoid those products including the fruit itself if having in store viagra.