Baked plantains, sweet potatoes,cheese, eggs,spices, and vegetables..breakfast is calling!!!! Do something new and healthy with those plantains and/or sweet potatoes in your pantry;this dish is quite tasteful and makes a great breakfast option for a Saturday morning especially for anyone with kids.
If you been following our blog for a while, then you would know that I love eggs a lot. So, some days ago I decided to spice things up and instead of just making a typical frittata with Irish potatoes, I decided to Africanize things a bit. I combined 2 very Nigerian ingredients (plantains and sweet potatoes) to the other frittata ingredients and it turned out TASTEFULLY GREAT:)
I call this an Afri-Talian fusion recipe; the combination of flavors makes this dish a winner, and it leaves a lingering taste.I got some of friends to try it at choir practice and they loved it. I hope you enjoy making it and eating it as well. It is quite easy to make but requires a bit of time; It is also quite healthy and you do not have to put the cheese. It is also a great breakfast dish and is a child-friendly recipe.
FRITTATA: an egg-based Italian dish resembling a flat thick omelette.To make a frittata, beaten eggs are cooked briefly in a hot skillet along with other ingredients such as onions, spinach, bacon and/or potatoes, and then topped with cheese and finished in the oven. When cooked in a round skillet, the frittata is then typically sliced into wedge-shaped portions for serving.
Recipe level: Easy
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking.Baking time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Meal type: Main course
Meal time: Breakfast
Recipe author: Kauna Kitchen
- 1 ripe plantain
- 1 small sweet potato
- 3 large eggs
- 1 small tomato,diced
- ½ medium onion,diced
- ½ bell pepper (red,yellow,green, or orange), stem, ribs, and seeds removed, then diced
- Curry, salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 seasoning cube, maggi or knorr
- 1 tablespoon parmeasan or feta cheese, optional
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs (dill,parsley, or basil)
- 1 fruit (kiwi,avocado,strawberries etc.)
Right now, using the kamagra, you will gain confidence and online viagra perform your sexual duties easily. Although of course, like everything else, your equipment may give levitra pill or start acting up. Availability of Male Impotence Drugs:It can be very brand viagra no prescription embarrassing to confide this shortcoming in anyone including your partner, spouse and family physician. When they are worried about their performance in canadian viagra samples bed, then you are not alone.
- Baking pan or foil pan
- Oven safe bowl. glass or porcelain
- Using a sharp knife remove the plantain skin. Slice plantain into desired shape and size
- Peel the skin of the sweet potato; chop into small cubes
- Coat the plantain slices with 1 tablespoon of oil, Place in a lightly buttered or oiled baking pan or foil dish and bake for about 15-20 minutes at 350C or until the plantains are lightly browned.
- Boil the sweet potato cubes for 10-12 minutes. (Do not overcook them since you will still be baking them in the oven)
- While the plantains are baking and the sweet potato cubes are boiling ,break the eggs into a bowl, add the chopped onions, tomatoes,dill,bell pepper,seasoning cube,salt,pepper, and curry.Mix everything together properly.
- Once the plantains are baked and the potatoes have boiled,pour the egg mixture into a slightly buttered oven safe bowl. Add the potatoes,and some plantain pieces into the egg mixture. Then top the mixture with the remaining plantain pieces; arrange them as you desire.
- Then place the bowl into an oven; bake at 350c for about 30-35 minutes; or until the mix is firm in the center. (You can check the frittata using a toothpick;stick it into the center of the frittata and if it comes out dry, then the frittata is ready)
THINGS TO NOTE
- If you do not have enough time and patience to bake the plantains, then you could boil then for about 7-10 minutes before adding to the egg mixture.
- Do not let the frittata bake for too long so that way the egg mix will be still moist and tender rather than tough and stringy;once the toothpick comes out dry,take the frittata out of the oven.
- You could make a plantain frittata without the sweet potatoes. It still tastes as nice.